Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Excitable Boy

The cubs slept in until almost 9 a.m. today!  And Mommy was right there with them snoozing away.  I guess we all needed it after a restless night.  I went to bed around midnight, then they were up being restless around 3 a.m. and I changed Alex.  Then they were up at 6 a.m. for a feeding, but went back to sleep directly afterward.

By the time they were waking up at 9 a.m. Alex was laying in his crib just a chattering away.  He's trying so hard to form words, he almost has his Mmmmm sound down so I'm hoping he will spit out a momma here soon.  He was chattering so much that as I was changing Calista on the changing table she was craning her neck around to watch him and listen to what he had to say.  Could be that twin talk starting up, in which case they are already ganging up on me and Ed.

Although I love being able to sleep in like that, we did have a busy day ahead of us.  We were going to meet Daddy and Grandma Edwards for lunch.  So that meant I had to get them fed, bathed and dressed in an hour and a half.  Not to mention making sure I have baby food and a diaper bag packed.  But when you've packed them up this many times you become somewhat of a pro at it and I ended up with a little time to spare.

We had lunch at Cafe Athens and it was really nice.  My real reason for wanting to take them out for lunch was to show off the new matching outfits I had made them.  These were the Fourth of July outfits that ended up being finished on the Fifth of July instead.  Hopefully they can wear them for the rest of the summer before they outgrow them.

After lunch we got home, I unloaded the cubs fed them a bottle and they went down for a nap.  I was feeling so tired from getting 3 hour stretches of sleep overnight that Ed suggested I lay down as well.  Right now it's hard for me to lay down or work on a 'fun' project.  We've been cleaning out Ed's mom's house to get it ready for sale which means we have things piled everywhere in this house.  I needed to find them homes and try to get organized before I could really rest.  I did get my old dresser cleaned out and all of my clothing put into my 'new' dresser.  After that I tried to take a little nap.  I managed to close my eyes for about 20 minutes and then Calista woke up.

We went through our normal routine, dinner for the cubs around 4 p.m..  I gave Ed some chores to do around the house when he got home, after he was done with those the two of us had some dinner.  Then off to the nice cool basement with a couple of bottles for the babies.  Now this is where the 'Excitable Boy' comes in.

I few days ago I bought them sippy cups with the handles on them.  Well I think something clicked with Alex holding that and realizing that if he would just hold his own bottle he could control the food coming to his mouth.  Tonight he grabbed hold of his bottle with both hands and then got so excited that he was kicking and flailing his arms about so much that he couldn't keep the nipple in his mouth.  In the end I did have to keep one finger on the bottle to keep it tilted in just the right direction for him to get the formula out.  But all in all, he did a really good job holding it himself.

The worst part of motherhood for today was the babies waking up every 3 hours overnight.  Just when you think you've got that sleeping thing down, they have a restless night and you find yourself tired and unprepared for it.  (Especially if you stay up until midnight like a dummy).

The best part of motherhood for today was listening to Alex and his babbling.  Such different sounds coming out of him, I wonder what it all means?

No comments:

Post a Comment