Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Too Far Gone

I'm so far behind on my blogging I'm just going to have to pick up from where I can remember, which isn't far these days.

Last Thursday I took the cubs to go meet Ed for lunch at the Olive Garden, where they were very good little babies. I brought along Calista's unfinished bottle and Ed just had to feed her that right before our food came out. Toward the end of our meal Alex started in with his new sound, which is sort of like if you suck a bunch of air in and make a noise doing it... only really loudly. We both have to laugh at it, and luckily the other patrons didn't give us dirty stares.

The time had finally arrived to go find some high chairs, and where else would I start looking than the used baby store. We found two brand new, in the box, Graco high chairs for $80 there. (Later my dad would tell me that they were $140 at Target for the exact same one). Ed loaded those up in his car and headed back to work. And as most of you can probably guess, I just had to do a little baby clothes shopping. I was pretty good this time though and only bought 2-3 outfits per child.

By now it was past nap time and the kids were getting fussy so we went home and I got about an hour of work done at the bead store before they woke up. By evening we got both babies down without too much trouble and started anticipating our day off tomorrow. Mom and Dad were taking the cubs overnight on Friday and I had a full day planned with Coit coming out to clean our air ducts and our cleaning lady coming out as well.

At this point Calista is the only one that seems to wake up in the middle of the night. She's usually chewing on her hand. We give her some teething medicine, replace her hand with her pacifier and back off to dreamland she goes. I want to add here how lucky we are that neither of our kids like the pacifier. This is the only time of day when Calista will take it. I'm grateful that I won't have to break them of that habit later.

Finally Friday has arrived! Ed and I are both looking forward to a relaxing night out to dinner then a quiet evening in front of the TV and I can get some beading done! However this entire plan goes out the window quickly when Coit calls at 7 a.m. to tell me that they need to reschedule our cleaning from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Alright, I can adjust to this, I'll just go get a mani/pedi before noon when Lizbeth gets here to clean the house at 12:30. Mom and Dad arrive to pick up the cubs around 10 a.m., we give them a quick something to eat and I get a bag all packed up for them, then they are out the door by around 11 a.m.

Now I know I'm cutting it close, but I think I can still get my mani/pedi done. After all this spa has gotten a mani/pedi done for me before in under an hour. This time however the girl is much more thorough, and all though it feels wonderful, I'm getting nervous because time is ticking away. They asked if I wanted a flower painted on my big toe, which I always get. But the guy that was doing them must have been new to it. He kept messing up and then having to clean the nail polish off and repaint my toe nail. ARGH! I'm going to be late for Lizbeth. I tried to call her but soon find I have her number in my phone incorrectly. Finally I tell the guy I'm just going to have to come back for the flower because it's now 12:30.

I race home to find a million messages from Lizbeth and a note on the front door that they were here at noon and have since left. Since I now have the correct number I gave her a call and we were working out a new time for them to come over. We get that all set up for Saturday instead and I have the silly notion that I can now go back to the spa and get my flower and manicure done. That's when the doorbell rings and it's Coit, an hour early!

By the time they get done it's almost 4 p.m. and I can finally go back and get my flower and manicure finished.

Meanwhile Ed's mom has called him and he has to drive her to the hospital to get a chest x-ray. That trip turns into a mess quickly with no one at the hospital knowing who ordered what and where they should go, etc.

Now it's 5 p.m. and we are both on our way to Outback to meet for dinner. We have a great dinner there and get home by around 7 p.m. By the time we get home though we are both pretty tired, neither of us feel relaxed at all and the only glimmer is that we get to sleep through the night. Which we did and did well!

The worst part of motherhood for this blog is planning too many things for a day that the kids are gone.

The best part of motherhood for this blog is those crazy baby noises. Who knows where they come from, just all of a sudden some sort of screechy, squealing sound will pop out of your child.

No comments:

Post a Comment